Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tuesday, 21 July Toscalano-Maderno Italy

It's the nicest thing to spend two nights in the same place! Especially this place which is so beautiful. Breakfast downstairs with all the free machiados you want- that's a $6 cup of coffee in the US. Today is laundry day, one the most mundane and most looked forward to events on tour. Ah... And you know, it's always a challenge to figure out washing machines in foreign countries. You don't even need to buy soap for these machines, it's injected right into the laundry cycle. After laundry and lunch, we drive about a mile down the road to the center of town, park and stroll around. Again we are a little late, so most places are closed, but we do find a pizzeria, and each order a different topping, and then trade slices. Delicious. As Jono and Lorenzo order coffee, I excuse myself to get lost.



I walk back down to the water, and past a little marina. Up on the hill in front of me I see what looks like an old church, and wish there was a trail up the hill. Low and behold, I see the international sign of the hiker with an arrow pointing between two buildings across the street. I can't believe my luck, and the trail is perfect, after I pass the lower buildings, it turns into a dirt trail that switch-backs up the steep side of the hill, about a 150 meter climb. Full of pizza, and sweating profusely in the midday sun, I really regret not bringing along some water. And just as I had that hoped, the trail hits a road, and there is a restaurant next to the the church which is also the Monte Maderno Parochial school. Man, what a view of Lago di Guarda!. After a little exploration I head back down the hill, past the marina, and turn right to walk around the bump of a peninsula that is Toscalano. Some beaches, some seaside hotels, very expensive looking private residences and low rent camping facilities. This must be a huge vacation destination, for either tourists or people with second homes. Everywhere the purple bougainvillea attaches itself to walls, climbing up to the red tile roofs. When I get back to the Hotel Sorriso (that means "smile") I have a nice long, free VOIP conversation with Wifey, and then it was time for a swim. Jeremy is already in the pool, Jeff joins us a few minutes later, and Jono shows up a bit later, he was on his own private walkabout.


Moved over to Taqui's Bar about 6:30. It's a casual, open air restaurant in a park that features a small train ride for kids, amongst over play structures. Good size stage. So we set up and run through a few songs, then have dinner at Taqui's, I went for the hamburgeso with monzarella. They have Duff beer, straight out of The Simpsons, and yes the celebrity endorser is Barney. There was a German couple who had watched the sound check with their two small children, who loved the music. They also loved that we rode the train with them (strictly for a photo-op!). The kids really wanted to see the show and hung around waiting for us to start. The boys must have rode the train 20 times.

It was extremely nice to play outside under the stars with a cool breeze blowing. The only odd thing is that there is another outdoor concert going on across the river from us. They have a full size PA system going for a battle of the local bands, and we can hear their songs when we take breaks between songs. Another nice long set with two new additions- "South of the Border" and Jono's "Death Valley Daze". We finished around midnight. After tear down, the booker Matea offers grappa and pizza, which I rudely didn't stick around for but heard was a delight. So ends Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Ferenc-

    This is not just the best travelogue-blog we've read, it's some of the best writing we've read - anywhere, anytime.

    Do please keep writing.

    Laurel & Joe, Jer's parents, both of us writers

    ReplyDelete
  2. AT breakfast, The hotelier offers another table some of the home made preserves from the fruits of his garden. I am secretly jealous. I do not realize that they are not locked up in a safe, but out amongst the myriad of goodies on the buffet. I try them tomorrow and they are fantastic.
    WE change rooms to a four-bed. Ference keeps his cloister and Jeff moves in w/Jono, Lorenzo and myself. The room is on the third (top) floor, on the corner overlooking the pool. The balcony is at least halfway covered in purple vines with thorny branches growing up from the ground 10 meters below. Molto Benne.
    Later: laundry, postcards and lunch. I stroll the waterfront w/Jeff and Lorenzo. We see a tiny dog on the beach trying to pick up a big rock with his teeth. Ouch. Jeff dips his feet in the lake and then they head back to the van. I continue to the hotel on foot alone. A little solitude is very nice as I wander the neighborhood. I pass a construction site and see a man in shorts and flip-flops shoveling dirt right under a backhoe. Personal safety gear does not seem to be a concern here. This scenario plays out repeatedly throughout our trip.
    Back at the hotel, I hose off the carcass in the shower and head for the glorious pool. Ahhhh. One block away, the soundcheck of the GIANT P.A. SYSTEM begins. A CD...some Kick Drum, the snare and the rest. All too familiar. I love playing through a big system...the feeling of power and bigness is exhilerating. Tonight, we have no PA at our gig, save for a single speaker for the mic to address the audience. Our stage faces the mountains - what a view.
    Nice dinner with Duff beer! Who knew? Salads and burgers were yummy.
    During our show, the park fills up with with teenagers who are politely digging the music, but not dancing. I receive several compliments on my drumming, which, contrary to what you might hear me say out loud, never gets old.
    After, promoter Matt orders a pizza and two rounds of high-end grappa. Then he comes with the bottle and indicates that we must have another, as there is so little left. OK, twist our arms. At the hotel, Lorenzo practices guitar for his series of performances at the upcoming festival. Jono and I dice out on the balcony until a call comes complaining of the noise. Another 3:30 bedtime. I'll sleep when I'm dead.

    ReplyDelete